Term: On Demand, Spring 2018
German segment 1
German is spoken by over 100 million people worldwide. It was the language of the first printed book as well as the language of such famous people as Mozart, Beethoven, Freud and Einstein. Following the American War of Independence, German was nearly chosen as the official language of the United States, but it lost by just one vote.
Topics & Concepts:
- Unit 7: Was soll ich tragen? / What should I wear? In this unit you will learn vocabulary for clothing. Colors will be reviewed. You will learn how to use adjective endings, in order to place the adjective in front of the noun. You will learn how to use the reflexive verbs: sich anziehen, sich ausziehen, and sich umziehen to talk about dressing yourself, undressing, and changing your clothes. The modal auxiliary verbs können, and dürfen will be introduced. You will explore German traditional costumes, including the Dirndl and Lederhosen.
- Unit 8: Ich habe Hunger! Ich habe Durst! /I’m Hungry! I’m Thirsty! In this unit you will learn vocabulary for foods and beverages. You will review how to say you like something, and add the modal verb mögen to also express liking. Making comparisons for “prefer” and “best of all” will also be introduced. German table customs will be explored. The Conversational Past Tense will be introduced.
- Unit 9: Wo kann ich essen? / Where can I eat? In this unit you will learn vocabulary for eating in a restaurant, a café an ice cream café, the open market, or at a fast-food stand.You will also learn vocabulary for purchasing food at the supermarket.You will read about the German monetary system, the Euro.
- Unit 10: Mein Zimmer / My Room. In this unit you will learn vocabulary for types of houses and the rooms and furniture in them.You will be able to describe the position of various items in your room using prepositions of position, verbs of position, and the Dative Case.
- Unit 11: Ich Mache Mich Fertig! / I’m Getting Myself Ready/ In this unit you will learn vocabulary for dressing and undressing yourself, washing up, shaving, and doing your hair and make-up. Reflexive verbs will need to be learned and used to discuss these jobs.You will also learn vocabulary for training and fitness.
- Unit 12: Ich möchte deutsche Musik hören / I’d Like to Listen to German Music. In this unit you will learn vocabulary for music equipment, instruments, and sound equipment.
- Segment 2 Exam
Offerings and courses subject to change. Please refer to the VTVLC Student Information System as the most up-to-date resource of current offerings and required materials for courses.