Course ID: 03005BS17
Term: Spring 2017
Biology recommended but not required.
The Marine Biology course offered by VTVLC is taught by Brian Slopey. This is a hybrid course with online and face-to-face learning. There will be a few meetings and classes during the spring semester. In late June we will have 2 intensive days to prepare us for our research trip to BIOS (Bermuda Institute of Marine Science) which will be in July. Students who are certified SCUBA divers will be able to collect fish data while diving on our boat trips.Students will be required to document their BIOS trip through journaling and will be expected to collect and enter data on Fish Populations on the REEF Web Site
For further information, visit Marine Biology – Trip to Bermuda!Additional fees apply.
Topics & Concepts:
- Investigating BIOS
- 01.06 Discussion Origins of the Oceans
- 01.07 What Makes the Ocean a Nice Place to Live?
- 01.09 Properties of Water Lab
- 02.04 Exploring Rocky Shores
- 02.05 Crabby Crustaceans Lab
- 02.06 What is a Tidepool?
- 02.07 Rocky Shore Current Event
- 02.09 Ocean Zones and the Life Within
- Bermuda Turtles
- 03.02 Introduction to Sea Turtles
- 03.04 Sea Turtle Rehabilitation
- 03.05 Sea Turtle Tracking
- 03.06 Positive Human Impact
- 03.07 Exploring Sandy Beaches
- 03.08 What is Happening to the Sand?
- 04.02 Dia What? and Dino Who?
- 04.03 Dinoflagellates
- 04.04 Create a Phytoplankton
- 04.05 Adaptations of Organisms
- 04.08 Food Webs
- 04.09 Make a Food Web
- 05.02 Currents
- 05.03 Continuing With Currents
- 05.07 Harvesting Krill
- 06.02 The Great Barrier Reef
- 06.03 Destroying the Coral Reefs!
- 06.05 Mollusks06.06 Mollusk Lab
- 06.07 In Search of the Giant Squid
- 06.08 Estuaries
- 06.10 Life in a Mangrove Ecosystem
- 06.11 Nutrients in the Marine Environment
- 06.12 Too Much of a Good Thing
- 07.02 Exploring the Abyss
- 07.07 Introduction to Fish
- 07.08 Fish Adaptations
- 07.09 Fish Shapes
- 07.10 All About Sharks and Their Relatives!
- 08.02 Marine Mammal Characteristics and Adaptations
- 08.03 Protect Wild Dolphins
- 08.09 Global Fisheries
- Harvesting Krill Discussion
- 03.09 Marine Pollution
- Why the Ocean Ecosystem is important
- ”Life Cycles & Reef Fish Communities”
- Coral Reefs & Sea grass reflection
- ”Feeding” & “Colors and Camouflage”
- Caves & Mangroves reflection/summary
- Marine Wildlife Management
- Sea Food Watch
- Bermuda Journal Requirements
- FISH ID AND INFO FOR BERMUDA
- Cephlopods videos
- Coral Reefs & Sea Grass- Bermuda
Offerings and courses subject to change. Please refer to the VTVLC Student Information System as the most up-to-date resource of current offerings and required materials for courses.