Course ID: 03005AS17-2
Term: Spring 2017
Biology, Marine Science segment 1
As our amazing planet continues to change over time, it becomes increasingly apparent how human activity has made environmental impacts. In the marine science course, students will delve deep into Earth’s bodies of water and study geologic structures and how they impact the oceans. Students will investigate characteristics of various populations, patterns of distribution of life in our aquatic systems, and ongoing changes occurring every day in our precious ecosystems. Students will be amazed and enlightened at just how much our oceans and lakes affect climate, weather, and seasonal variations. They will have the opportunity to explore the relationships among living organisms and see how they are affected by our oceans currents, tides, and waves. Hold on, it is one amazing journey.
Topics & Concepts:
- 05.00 Module 05 Checklist
- 05.01 Where Are We Going?
- 05.02 Ocean Currents
- 05.03 Continuing With Currents
- 05.04 Investigating ENSO
- 05.05 Impacts of El Nino
- 05.06 Hurricane!
- 05.07 Exploring Sandy Beaches
- 05.08 Learn a Little About Penguins
- 05.09 How Do Penguins Keep Warm?
- 05.10 Honors Doing Some Antarctic Research
- 05.11 Module 05 Review and Quizzes
- 06.00 Module 06 Checklist
- 06.01 Where Are We Going?
- 06.02 The Great Barrier Reef
- 06.03 Destroying the Coral Reefs!
- 06.04 Honors Aqualung
- 06.05 Mollusks
- 06.06 Mollusk Lab
- 06.07 In Search of the Giant Squid
- 06.08 Estuaries
- 06.09 Honors Types of Estuaries
- 06.10 Life in a Mangrove Ecosystem
- 06.11 Nutrients in the Marine Environment
- 06.12 Too Much of a Good Thing
- 06.13 Module 06 Review and Quizzes
- 07.00 Module 07 Checklist
- 07.01 Where Are We Going?
- 07.02 Exploring the Abyss
- 07.03 Honors Resources in the Abyss
- 07.04 Surf’s Up! Wave Anatomy
- 07.05 Tides
- 07.06 Theory of Plate Tectonics
- 07.07 Introduction to Fish
- 07.08 Fish Adaptations
- 07.09 Fish Shapes
- 07.10 All About Sharks and Their Relatives!
- 07.11 Module 07 Review and Quizzes
- 08.00 Module 08 Checklist
- 08.01 Where Are We Going?
- 08.02 Marine Mammal Characteristics and Adaptations
- 08.03 Protect Wild Dolphins – Admire Them From a Distance
- 08.04 Honors Marine Mammal Awareness
- 08.05 Exploring the Kelp Forest
- 08.06 Kelp! Not Just for Sea Otters
- 08.07 Keystone Predator
- 08.08 What Kind of Meat Is This? – Detecting Whale Meat Using DNA
- 08.09 Global Fisheries
- 08.10 Module 08 Review and Quizzes
- 08.11 Second Semester Exam
Offerings and courses subject to change. Please refer to the VTVLC Student Information System as the most up-to-date resource of current offerings and required materials for courses.