Welcome, Home Study Families!
Thank you for stopping in and considering VTVLC as an option to support your education. We understand that every family’s educational needs are unique, and that you have choices in how and when you learn. Online learning can provide you the flexibility you need to enjoy hobbies, traveling, and other benefits unique to home study households.
Every family in Vermont has the right to home study.
Home Study and Home Schooling mean the same thing; the family is responsible for educating the students.
All home study students can request up to two classes at their local school per semester, which may include VTVLC courses, and retain their home study status. Learn more about VT Home Study from the VT AOE.
If you are a home study family outside the state of Vermont, we are happy to support your home study program. Teacher Facilitated and Parent Facilitated options below are applicable. However, your local school support may vary from state to state. We encourage you to contact your state’s Department of Education for clarification.
VTVLC offers a variety of options for home study families for online coursework. You can ‘mix and match’ different types of enrollment to meet the specific needs of your family.
Full-Time Online Diploma Program
- Taught by VT licensed teachers who also hold the Online Teaching Specialist Endorsement
- Flexibility: access your course anytime, anywhere
- No Snow Days
- Weekly Work Schedules
- No Inservice Days
- School Supported: $0
- Self pay:
K-6 Full Time Cost (5 core courses): $2,550 per semester
K-6 Full Time Cost (If school covers .4): $1,350 per semester
K-6 Full Time Cost (If school covers .2): $1,800 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (4 core courses): $1,800 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (If school covers .4): $1,080 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (If school covers .2): $1,350 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (5 core courses): $2,550 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (If school covers .4): $1,350 per semester
7-12 Full Time Cost (If school covers .2): $1,800 per semester
- Self pay (parent facilitated) – $180 / credit
- Start Date: August 31, 2022
- End Date: June 2, 2023
- VTVLC Academic Calendar
Cost to Families
School SupportedTeacher Facilitated
- Can be full-time (4 core courses and 1 elective per semester) or part time
- Vermont home study families may request support from their local school for enrollment as a full-time online student with VTVLC. However, the student will need to enroll as a full-time student with the local school, and would no longer be considered a home study student.
- In accordance with the Vermont Agency of Education’s Memorandum dated April 2014, all schools are encouraged to support home study students who request access to VTVLC programs.
- K-6 Full Time Cost (5 core courses): $2,550 per semester. $1,350 per semester if school covers .4, $1,800 per semester if school covers .2
- 7-12 Full Time Cost (4 core courses): $1,800 per semester. $1,080 per semester if school covers .4, $1,350 per semester if school covers .2
- 7-12 Full Time Cost (5 core courses): $2,550 per semester. $1,350 per semester if school covers .4, $1,800 per semester if school covers .2
- Vermont home study families may retain their home study status in the full-time, online program if they elect to self-pay
- *Vermont home study families may request support from their local school for enrollment in up to 2 courses per semester (0.4 FTE) and still remain under home study status with the state of Vermont.
- If the school your child would attend is not willing to support the cost of enrollment for VTVLC courses, you have the option to pay out of pocket for VTVLC courses.
- If you are paying fully out of pocket, there is no limit on the number of courses you enroll your child in to still be considered home study. Simply include the use of VTVLC courses as part of the plan you submit to the Vermont Agency of Education.
- Based on 0.5 credit, any number of enrollments can be accessed a la carte
- Parent facilitated courses are accessible to our Home Study families as a course lease. Accounts are created for you and your child, with you as the role of the teacher. With you in the teacher role, you will be able to manage, edit, grade and analyze the data generated in the courses. VTVLC hosts your eCurriculum on their Learning Management System (Canvas) that is available to you 24/7. Make sure to include the use of VTVLC courses as part of the plan you submit to the Vermont Agency of Education
- Replace workbooks, textbooks, assessments and assignments with online, comprehensive curriculum material, register for courses with open, rolling enrollment 365 days a year, have the flexibility to set your own pace and schedule for every course, have the option to take as many or as few courses as you wish, retain benefit of implementation and technical support from VTVLC
Amount of Time:
3-5 hours per course, per week
Number of Assignments:
Approximately 2-6 per course, per week
Learning Activities: Computer Based
Completing lesson modules, discussions with classmates, reading, listening to audio clips, watching videos
Discussion based assessments with course instructor, summative assessments, formative assessments
For Teacher Facilitated
- Complete Act 77 Flexible Pathways Enrollment Form (For Vermont residents only)
- (School supported only) Submit form to the local school your child would attend if he/she attended public school & return form to VTVLC
- Have your child create their student account (your guardian account will be Register for courses!
- (Self-Pay only) Submit payment through our Student Information System online portal, Maestro (accessible through your guardian account)